[pure-silver] Re: terminology change re list migration ...

  • From: AhYouBecky@xxxxxxx
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 17:13:55 EDT

In a message dated 9/12/2004 9:40:15 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
sep1204 from Lloyd Erlick,
I think we've developed a bit of needless acrimony.

I'd like to look upon the various people who are advocating their versions
of what we should do as developers of various contingency plans. They are
very kindly offering resources and personal time. They have for the most
part described their plans for others to consider.

Perhaps we could stay where the list is at present, until we perceive a
need to change again. By then we will have had lots of time to discuss the
various plans, and the next change could be much more orderly and thought out.

In the meantime, it would be much more productive to discuss the matter(s)
unemotionally and without personal aspersions. Really, we're very fortunate
to have such an embarrassment of riches. Look what we're doing - arguing
over which unbelievably generous offer to accept! I'd rather have the
various generous parties think about their plan and set things up at their
own ends in such a way that when or if the time comes some chosen plan
could be implemented painlessly.

Also, since Tim has pointed out that he has basically paid for it all over
the years, we should consider a way to get some cash. For a start, could we
think about sending some modest amount to help with costs? I'd propose
twenty dollars per year. I'd also just leave it loose, call it the honour
system if you like. Even a handful of regulars ponying up modestly would
probably make a difference.

I would say we should just trust the list keeper with the money, since it
will very likely be a small amount!

My competence is not at all in the digital arena, so I am content to go
along with the server/software/tech decisions of others on this list who
obviously know better than I do.

However, I do have competence in the area of human relations. (Think it's
possible to do portraits like mine without it?) And I say this discussion
group should adhere strictly to its own, former, high standards of
behaviour. The true uniqueness of this group is not the technical
proficiency of the participants, but the civility of the discourse. Without
that, the willingness of individual participants dwindles over time, and
the quality of the whole suffers as the various technically proficient
members wander away. We have been fortunate to see the reverse process
taking place -- an extreme rarity -- and we should do our best to promote
that aspect of our activities.

regards,
--le
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
voice: 416-686-0326
email: portrait@xxxxxxxxxxxx
net: www.heylloyd.com

Lloyd,

You work is stunning and your words ring true. I'm inspired.

Becky Lynn