[pure-silver] Re: <somewhat OT> New lens design technology

  • From: Laurence Cuffe <cuffe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 14:25:18 -0800

On Thursday, February 01, 2007, at 02:44PM, "Sauerwald Mark"
<mark_sauerwald@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Very interesting (and I am not just saying that
>because I am an engineering graduate of UCSD).
>
>One thing that would worry me however is that the
>input aperture is an annulus rather than a circle -
>this is similar to a conventional mirror lens such as
>the 500mm f8 RF that I have for my old minolta gear.
>One of the attributes of this type of lens is that out
>of focus point sources of light appear on the film as
>donut shaped rings - which most of the time I find
>very distracting.   I would imagine that this 'lens'
>would have a similar feature.
>
>I do like the concept of using internal reflections to
>keep the entire light path within the 'glass' - more
>efficient than refraction, and I believe that because
>of the way the lens is formed, it would be possible to
>make lenses with speeds faster than f1.

I'm not sure that faster than f1 would be possible with this technology as it
seems that only the outer annulus of the lens is the effective aperture.
Because this is large, depth of field will be very shallow, and bokeh will be
interesting.  Such a system could perhaps be useful for collimating the beam of
a semiconductor laser if used in reverse.
All the best
Laurence Cuffe