[pure-silver] Re: shot of a print

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 13:04:07 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Russ Gorman" <rusty57@xxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, August 10, 2007 8:40 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: shot of a print

On Aug 9, 2007, at 8:58 PM, Eric Nelson wrote:

Russ,
When you say "weak fixer", are you refering to fixer
that is reaching exhaustion or the dilution?
Eric

I initially meant near exhaustion, but I note that you use Kodak rapid fix which can be mixed to different dilutions for different applications,filmRC,Fiber etc. (1:4 or 1:9 are common dilutions, if I remember right).

I've used Ilford Rapid fix (Hypam)

When using Ilford, you definitely want the 1:4 for fiber print work. I can't remember the Kodak routine. I'm sure you know this stuff, and of course it's easy to exhaust solutions when you simply don't start with enough total volume for the number of prints being processed or as someone else pointed out- too much carryover of developer from the other trays.

 Russ Gorman Photography
 Portland Oregon
<http://www.russgormanphotography.com>

Kodak Rapid Liquid Fixer and Hardener is nearly identical to Ilford fixer if you leave out the hardener (comes in a separate bottle). Some people find rapid fixer works too fast for paper at film strength so there is an alternative dilution, essentially film strength diluted 1:2 to extend the time. Acidified Ammonium Thiosulfate fixer is also a mild bleach so overfixing can result in a loss of shadow details. In fact, rapid fixer with added Citric Acid is a recommended bleach for removing dichroic fog. Neutral or alkaline rapid fixer does not have the bleaching property. Sodium Thiosulfate fixer also will bleach metallic silver but the time required is hours so its not a problem in normal use. Sodium Thiosulfate fixer will fix out most paper emulsions in about 2 minutes but more time may be needed to reach halide in the Baryta layer. Dave Valvo can expand on this. Rapid fixer will fix out most paper emulsions in 30 seconds to 2 minutes. Ammonium Thiosulfate fixer is less affected by fixer reaction products so it has a greater capacity than Sodium fixer. However, I think a two bath system is still wise practice with it.

---