[pure-silver] Re: short dev times

  • From: Jim Brick <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 16:05:39 -0700

At 07:05 AM 9/22/2006 -0400, Janet Cull wrote:

It's morning and I dropped the frustration at about 2:00 a.m..  I
remembered my daughter's words;  "in 10 years will it matter?"  (Only
if it takes that long to figure out.)

I was shooting a Hasselblad and metered.  Is it possible I just
didn't develop long enough to bring up an image, but did the edges?
I don't know.  I'll think more and try again with something, but I
lost the chance on those.  Doggone it!

Smart daughter.

However, what happened to you is exactly why I, and my colleagues, NEVER process a roll of 'very important' film, without first testing the process. This goes double for a NEW process.

I quickly shoot a roll of film and process it using the exact chemicals, from the same concentrates, as I will be using for the 'very important' roll(s). I ALWAYS did this with Xtol since it had such a bad reputation for suddenly quitting. I never did have a problem, but better safe than sorry. And processing a test roll will give you an indication of whether you are in the ball park on dilution and time.

When I mix a new batch of E6 or C41 chemistry, I stuff a roll of the appropriate film in my camera, shoot it outside, around the house, and process it by itself. Thirty years ago I didn't do this an ruined six rolls of E6 (E4?) that I could not shoot again. Since then I have been very careful with the soup in which my 'very important' film gets to swim.

:-)

Jim