[pure-silver] Re: [pure-silver]cocked/uncocked: was Re: old rollei over exposing

  • From: "Koch, Gerald" <gkoch02@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 13:54:22 -0500

I have conducted a brief, non-exhaustive search on the web about the
question of whether to leave a camera's shutter cocked or uncocked for
extended periods of time.

It appears that it depends on the shutter design or make of camera.

Contax, Minolta, Ricoh, Zenit, Horizon; all say uncocked.

Leica M; doesn't matter (the shutter is always cocked to some extent).

By design Hasselblad, Bronica, and Rollei 35 cannot be left uncocked.

One camera repair service says uncocked while another says cocked.

My conclusion: If it is important to leave the shutter uncocked consult
the instruction manual that comes with the camera.  It will most likely
have a warning to that effect.

Jerry