[pure-silver] Re: [pure-silver]: Re: freelists, was Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT]: The End Of An Era

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 23:31:22 -0400 (EDT)

From: Eric Goldstein <egoldste@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver]: Re: freelists, was Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT]: The End Of An Era
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 22:05:32 -0400

> Well, a couple of things have come up... The first is that existing
> members be comfortable with the service/server provider in terms of
> security, reliability, anti-spamming, etc, and the second is the
> moderator functions and how best to handle. In the next few days,
> other concerns may be voiced as well.

If the list runs on someone's server, eventually s/he will have the
same problem as Tim D. If the list runs on a commercial service
outside of this list community, all sorts of questions are raised,
including yours. Security is a hard problem where it's very difficult
to make it perfect and usable, in terms of both subscribers' privacy
and network security. This makes it difficult to evaluate security in
a short term without extensive testing. But I don't think anyone
questions Jim's good experience with freelists at this point; it's
just that many of us don't have experience with it and we just don't
know.

So what about this?

We should regard pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx "pure-silver beta" to the
end of September, and main photographic discussions stay here until
then. Those who are curious or brave enough sign up there and send
zillions of test messages and greetings, while watching out for
troubles. This way, if no better plan comes up here, we'll at least
know about one option, and hopefully have a smoother transition during
October.

Meanwhile, we should discuss possible weakness/strength of the
freelists service and those of other options. But, this discussion is
off-topic from the description of pure-silver list. So, perhaps, this
discussion should be done on the "pure-silver BETA," or if this is
conceptually unacceptable to some, another list hosted by freelists or
some other services. The point here is so that people who don't care
about administrative aspects of this list aren't fed up with this
huge non-photographic traffic.

Other issues I am worried about is what are we going to do with
silver-bits?

One question I have is how freelists.org sustain its operation
moneywise? (probably it's just a matter of clicking through their
website...)

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Well, believing is all right, just don't let the wrong people know