[pure-silver] Re: prints stuck together in drymount press

  • From: Shannon Stoney <sstoney@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2007 10:54:56 -0500

Actually the prints look fine, now that they've been washed and dried. I don't think anybody will notice anything.

I've done that thing with negatives you describe below many times...

--shannon

Dear Shannon,

Listen to Uncle Don - he's right. Once you mash prints into each other there is enough damage draw your eye and irritate you every time you see the things. Take comfort that your new prints will be even better than these.

For the next level of despair, do as I do. Hang your negatives up on Paterson film clips and then get impatient to see what they look like as soon as they are hung in the dryer. Take the 120 strip down and drop it on the dirty old darkroom floor. NOW you have dirt imbedded in the soft emulsion plus a few gouges right down to the base. Remember that wet film, like buttered bread, will always fall onto the soft vulnerable side....

Now you're ready to get out that old text on film restoration and retouching and start sharpening the pencils. Be sure to mutter to yourself as you do it. I like to mutter in several languages.

    Uncle Dick

PS: Uncle Dick is always open to donations of old Paterson film clips. The grey plastic ones. He has a holy regard for Paterson clips.