[pure-silver] Re: perceptol 1+1 and grain

  • From: "Nicholas O. Lindan" <nolindan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 14:35:33 -0500

"Shannon Stoney" <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

back to an old topic of about a week ago. I bought some perceptol today, but I suddenly realized that if you use it full strength it's pretty expensive! What about using it 1+1?

Perceptol is Ilford's version of Microdol-X.

Microdol is often used 1:3.  The results
of dilution are a matter of some debate.

To my eye MX works best at 1:3 - grain is
as fine as at full strength, but as the
grain is sharper it may look coarser.
Resolution is a very small ooch better
at 1:3 but the sharper grain makes the
resolution gain to appear much higher than
it is in reality.

And my pocketbook agrees: Microdol is best at 1:3.

You can get times for Perceptol 1:3 from
http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.html
If you can't find your film listed with
Perceptol look for times using Microdol.

==
Nicholas O. Lindan
Cleveland Engineering Design, LLC
Cleveland, Ohio 44121