[pure-silver] Re: old twin lens camera focussing?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 11:12:40 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shannon Stoney" <sstoney@xxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2006 10:21 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: old twin lens camera focussing?

>As an update to my previous post. it appears that >Voigtlander produced
several models under the name Brilliant. Some like mine are really a
glorified box camera while another model was a true twin lens reflex
where both lenses would move. There are lots of sites on the web
describing various versions.

Thanks. I found a description and photograph of our camera at this site:

http://www.amdmacpherson.com/classiccameras/index.html

It's the Voigtlander Brillant , and ours appears to be made of Bakelite rather than metal. One lens is stationary and hte taking lens can be moved.

Compared to my old Rolleiflex from the late thirties, the screen is much brighter.

--shannon

The finder is of a type called a "brilliant finder". It is a simple finder with two lenses, one a viewing condenser lens. Since there is no "real" image it can't indicate focus but the same arrangment allows nearly all the light to go to the eye so its very bright, hense the name. This is a large version of the small reflex finders found on many folding cameras.

---