[pure-silver] Re: my dog ate my film.... A toxicology consult

  • From: Gerald Koch <gerald.koch@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 11:50:17 -0800 (PST)

Silver is not a particularly toxic element at least not for higher forms of
life.  It is among a few metals that can be implanted in the body.  The
ingestion of colloidal silver or silver compounds can cause a condition known
as
argyria which casues the skin to turn blue but causes no other health
problems.
This condition was once caused by people who overused used a mild germicide
called Argyrol.  The FDA banned this OTC medication some years ago.  The
condition popped up again a few years ago when it become popular for health
concious people to take colloidal silver.  There were many "snake oil" websites
devoted to people buying their machine for making this substance.  Some silver
salts are irritating or corrosive such as silver nitrate but this is not due to
the silver content.

So unless "old blue" really starts to turn blue I wouldn't be overly
concerned.
Dogs have a very strong constitution and vomit reflex.  For future reference a
handy emetic for dogs is 3% hydrogen peroxide.  Check for the dosage with your
vet as it depends on weight.

Jerry