[pure-silver] Re: matting square prints

  • From: Shannon Stoney <sstoney@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 07:58:46 -0600

This is interesting. I am afraid I could not quite follow your
directions for optical center finding, but usually I can sort of
eyeball it.

Somebody told me once that the reason prints are usually mounted with
more space at the bottom, is that prints were formerly often hung
salon-style.  A lot of prints, therefore, were hung up pretty high,
so that the viewer had to look up to see them.  If you've ever been
to the Barnes collection in Philadelphia, you know what this means:
there are paintings from floor to ceiling it seems, on all the walls.
Horrible, really.  But back in the days when prints were really
prints--that is, etchings, lithographs, etc from a printing
press--apparently they were often hung this way, and our photographic
tradition of calling our work prints, and mounting them with extra
space at the bottom, may derive from this. The extra space was needed
at the bottom to make the prints look centered, when they were five
feet above your  head. Now, however, it's a convention, and that's
why it looks "funny" if you don't have extra space at the bottom.

This is just something I heard and I don't know if it's true.

--shannon