[pure-silver] Re: how long, when partially wet?

  • From: "Speedy ." <speedgraphic@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 18:10:13 +0000

Janet Cull <jcull@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: (SNIPPED)

...By the way, I really like this print and I was rather excited to see it framed. I'm really, really critical of my own work. Sometimes I get discouraged and think I'll toss the cameras and darkroom. Then occasionally I get something like this, that I really like - and I keep going.

It's for an office uptown, and I'm actually proud to put my name on this one. I'd really thought the last few days about selling my Hasselblad system and giving up the effort. This one is keeping me in the game. It's a good morning here.

Janet,

I think we all have times where we just want to chuck it all...

I am, I know, my own worst critic.  Here is what often happens to me...

I go out, make negatives, print them, and when I have made the final print I look at it and say well, that's OK but it's not really all that great. I take the print(s) and put them in a photo paper box and put them away. Months later I will have a reason to go look for something I did in the past and I will go open that box. When I see the prints I have left there with a fresh eye I exclaim! WOW! I used to be a pretty good photographer!

This has happened enough times over the years for me to figure out that it's not that I am any better or worse of a photographer with the passage of time, but that when I go back I am viewing it with fresh eyes and a new appreciation of the image.

Just for giggles and grins you might do the same. Go pull out some of those old pictures you have squirreled away and have a look. You will likely have the same realize that you too were(are) a pretty good photographer. You are just too critical of your own stuff!

Good Light!

Speedy

"It's hard to slow down when you were born to run!"

i'm making a difference. Make every IM count for the cause of your choice. Join Now. http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwme0080000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=hmtagline