[pure-silver] Re: estimating filter factor: gray card?

  • From: Camclicker@xxxxxxx
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 10:35:51 EDT

In a message dated 9/30/2006 7:55:15 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
sstoney@xxxxxxx writes:

I  can't really bracket when shooting large format film.

I am thinking  that although the filter factor is supposed to be 2,
that seems excessive  to me given that it only changes the reading by
a third of a stop.  I  am thinking something like 1.5 would be more
accurate.

I wonder if  it's better to meter a gray card, rather than meter the  shadows?

--shannon

I'm joining this thread late and don't really know what went on  before
but....  the factor indicated by an X on the filter ring and is only  a factor,
not
an adjustment.  The adjustment is the Sq. Root of the  factor:   5 X factor =
2.24 stops.  A filter factor of 2 X =  an adjustment of 1.41 stops (close
enough to your gut feeling).  The  adjustment can be made in either time or
aperture.

I suggest after composing your scene you put  the selected  filter on the
camera lens and spot meter the  scene as usual.  When setting f-Stop and Time
make your adjustment for  filtration and take the picture.

Bruce  Osgood
Camclicker @ aol.com
Brooklyn,  NY.