[pure-silver] Re: donut solution; enlarger lens problem

  • From: Shannon Stoney <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 10:27:40 -0500

Maybe that was the notorious Newton ring. I thought the frosted glass WAS anti-Newtonian glass, but maybe it wasn't, or maybe I installed it wrong.

--shannon

On May 11, 2007, at 8:15 AM, Bogdan Karasek wrote:

HI,

If a glass negative carrier was being used, then wouldn't the *donut* be a Newtonian ring???? And isn't the solution to change the glass and install anti-Newtonian glass? Do both pieces of glass have to be anti-Newtonian or only one layer, top or bottom?

Cheers,
Bogdan

Shannon Stoney wrote:
I solved the donut problem, but I don't think my messages about it got to this list. If they did, please disregard. I was off the list for a while, moving back to TN and changing addresses. Anyway it turned out that that glass negative carrier was the culprit. I switched to another one, the 4x5 carrier, and the donut went away! So I don't want to hear any more snide comments about the fifth rate plastic camera I was using. ;-) I'll have you know that I bought that Holga BRAND NEW!! (In fact it's about the only brand new thing I have. Everything else is vintage. That's the future, folks. Soon we'll be buying vintage film and vintage paper, because they won't make stuff for old fogies who insist on using film and light-sensitive paper.) I am wondering if maybe my mistake was to put the frosted piece of glass on top. It could be that it goes on the bottom. I can't remember how it was when I first looked at it. I took both pieces out to clean them with Windex, and possibly I put them back in wrong. The enlarger and all its accessories came used from a lab in Houston and a lot of the stuff had been altered or modified in some way, too. Does anybody know how the glass should be? Why is there one piece of frosted glass and one not frosted? Also there are two pieces of plain, much heavier glass with the accessories, but they don't fit into the 8x10 carrier: they appear to be a jerry-rigged solution to something. In the process of trying to get to the bottom of this problem, I ran into yet another problem. I had bought a used 300mm enlarging lens from a guy and had it mounted in a lensboard for this Devere 108 enlarger, so I could enlarge 8x10 negatives. I got it out yesterday to see if that would solve the problem, thinking the problem might be the enlarging lens. But I could never get it to focus! I put the baseboard way down and way up, and there was no sweet spot. I moved the head up and down: no dice. I guess there could be something wrong with this lens too. It's always something!! One odd thing was that as I opened and closed the aperture on the lens, the image shrank and expanded. Weird.
--shannon
====================================================================== ======================================= To unsubscribe from this list, go to www.freelists.org and logon to your account (the same e-mail address and password you set-up when you subscribed,) and unsubscribe from there.

  Bogdan Karasek
  Montréal, Québec                     bogdan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Canada                               www.bogdanphoto.com

                  "I photograph my reality"