[pure-silver] Re: donut solution; enlarger lens problem

  • From: Shannon Stoney <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 20:01:51 -0500

I think I get it. You're saying that it's ok for the frosted glass to be on top, because then it's like the ground glass in the camera: not between the negative and the lens. Is that right?

Ok, so I did it right: I put the frosted glass on top, touching the base of the film. Why did I still get Newton rings? I thought the purpose of the frosted glass was to discourage Newton rings, but apparently it didn't work. The 4x5 carrier just has plain glass and there were no Newton rings and never have been, even though the glass is in contact with the film base.

What does anti-Newton-ring glass look like? Maybe that's not what this glass actually is. The guy that set up the enlarger for me told me that's what it was, but maybe he was wrong.

--shannon

Shannon...

Would you hold a piece of frosted glass in front of your lens when taking a photograph? Or, to keep it totally congruent, would you put your 4x5 film holder behind your focusing ground glass - if you could?

There's a reason that lenses are totally clear and made from very expensive optical glass. And the film holder goes in front of the ground glass, and a frosted glass filter would give you a great picture of... nothing but a uniform gray (somewhere between white and black) image.

Stop and think for just a moment... your enlarger is simply the reverse of your camera. Many LF cameras used to have a light source accessory so that they could be used as enlargers.

:-)

Jim

At 07:19 PM 5/11/2007 -0500, Shannon Stoney wrote:

Why is it that frosting only affects the optical quality if you put it
on the bottom?  It would seem that it would affect the image whether
it's on top or bottom.  But the prints looked sharp, to me.

--shannon