[pure-silver] Re: contrast problem

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 12:11:39 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shannon Stoney" <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, February 28, 2010 10:30 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] contrast problem

I just checked two strips of paper side by side. One was the 11x14 paper and one was the 8x10 paper. The 11x14 paper is definitely flatter. I had to print it at a half a paper grade higher than the 8x10 paper.

So much for work prints.

So, the paper in question was Ilford warm tone glossy. I still love this paper, but caveat emptor.

--shannon

I don't have a copy of the ISO standard for paper contrast or speed. Such standards exist but, without knowing the limits and errors allowed, its impossible to know how much variation is allowed in a commercial product. Also, the filter sets for various makes of paper are not the same. Kodak and Ilford are certainly different in _effect_ as well as visually. I have never seen a controlled test of the effect of the filters with various kinds of paper. One clue is the difference in the filter settings specified for color head enlargers for different papers. If the papers all responded the same the settings would be the same. As Tim Rudman pointed out the visual effect on the print is the criterion but having some data about the material makes it easier to obtain the desired result. The difference in the two papers does not mean there is anything wrong with either or with your printing set-up. Graded papers would be the same since the specification of grade is based on a measure of contrast index and does not take into account any differences in the shape of the characteristic curve. The moral of the story is to test on the exact paper one will use for the final print. If you make a lot of large prints it will probably pay to sacrifice a couple of sheets to cut them down for smaller work prints. BTW, I've never had much success with test strips beyond establishing the basic speed of the paper/enlarger. There is too much illusion in the strip overlaying the image to make a close judgement about contrast and exposure from it. A small test print is very helpful. I also use a simple enlarging exposure meter. Mine is an Ilford EM-10. I think these are still made. It is a simple match meter, not a calibrated meter, although you _can_ calibrate it. It is very helpful in establishing initial exposures and in adjusting exposure when the size of the print is changed.