[pure-silver] Re: cleaning containers

  • From: Chris Woodhouse <chris.woodhouse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 19:40:43 +0100

On a similar vein, I was getting dirty white spirals after using D76. The stain wouldn't wash off and even scrubbing with a toothbrush made little impression. I then developed a roll of C41 and viola! I suppose it must be the blix.

Chris

On 25 Sep 2006, at 17:53, Becky wrote:

I'm using the typical brown plastic containers with the screw top lids. I could see the build up from having left chemicals setting in them for over a year so I just thought I'd ask if it was worth the trouble to clean them before going to the trouble.

Thank you for all of the responses. It'll take some time to get things set back up but I'm looking forward to having a darkroom again sometime in the future. :-)

Thanks again,

Becky Lynn

On 9/25/06, David Starr <davestarr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 23:41:20 -0700, Becky <lynnbecks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:

>Hello everyone. It seems like it's been so long.... I haven't had the
>chance to do any photographing in quite some time. The divorce is final now
>and slowly I'm getting back to a normal life. That means I'll be able to do
>some photographing and darkroom work again in the future. I'm moving my
>darkroom to my mom's property, where I now live, and am wondering a few
>things. I was wondering about the old bottles of developers and fixers and
>wondering if it will hurt anything to just rinse them out with water or
>should I start with fresh containers. They have been setting there with old
>chemicals in them for over a year now. I hate to have to buy all new
>containers being that I'm on a tight budget. Will the buildup in the bottles
>cause any trouble for me?
>
>Becky Lynn

It's good to see you back on the list! You didn't say if you use plastic or
glass bottles, but here's what I've done in the past. I fill the bottles with
hot water & dump them several times. Then I fill them & let them set for a
while - do this 3 or 4 times. As long as you use them for the same chemicals
that were in them, there shouldn't be any problems.