[pure-silver] Re: buying photo stuff on ebay

  • From: Bogdan Karasek <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 15:09:25 -0400

Hi,

I'd just like to add my two loonies worth!

Ray Rogers wrote:
snip

3. Waiting to the end before bidding, and then getting
hung up by the technology!

(In some cases you might get to the last step and then
e-bay may inform you the seller has not stated he will
accept bids from your country, etc., etc.

One way to avoid this is to make a prior inquiry as to the shipping costs. I live in Canada, so if the item is from a foreign country, i.e., the US, and unless the seller specifically states that he will sell only to US bidders (something that a large number of sellers do), then I inquire what the shipping cost will be to Canada. If he informs me that he does not sell to Canadians then I move on. If he gives me a quote for shipping to Canada, then I can factor this into the ceiling that I set for my bid. Avoids the last minute surprise and the problem raised above

Also, if the seller states that he ships to Canada only by UPS or FedEx, then I also move on because UPS and FedEX charge a brokerage fee which you have to add to the cost of the item. So if its only UPS, FedEX, I just move on. Canada Post rarely charges tax on the photo items, maybe 1 in 20. With UPS, I get the brokerage fees and the sales tax that they feel duty bound to collect. In the end, a good deal turns into a not so good deal because of these extra hidden costs. get all the info ahead of time and avoid nasty surprises once you have won the item. Ask about combined shipping if you intend to buy two or more items from the same seller. Some refuse, so I move on.

If a seller does not answer my query concerning shipping costs, then I move on. I don't need surprises.

Just want to remark on the large number of sellers who state in their listing that they will answer your questions about the item and then never do. Again, I move on.

Cheers and Happy Bidding,
Bogdan

By the way, In Japan, the bidding is done on another
crazy system... once you get used to it, it may be
better, but the first time I experienced it I thought
I was hallucinating!

There, the bid end time is extended about 5 or 10
minutes to allow someone to out bid you! (Just when I
thought I had won... the auction was extended and
other bids started pouring in! I didn't know what to
do, but finally fought back and finally "won" the
bidding game.

I really don't know which is the most peaceful, buyer
friendly "game", but at least with the Japanese method
you have a chance to bid in real time and you do not
have to bid blindly while offering your entire life
savings as insurance that you will win.

Enough said already too much said.

Ray Rogers

'Winning' isn't always winning.

"All that glitters isn't all that glitters"
ps

--- Georges Giralt <georges.giralt@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Bill ,
If you use a sniper, you will often "win" auction
just doing what you want. Bidding early just make the price go high because people seeing the low price arre tempted to bid on it. Refraining to bid up to the last minute ensure the price will stay at a minimum (if everyone stick to this) if it doesn't stay low, you won't "win" it because it is above the threshold you make....
I was a user of Auction sniper but their prices are
high, a friend of mine gave me bidninja address and I'm delighted !
Try it, it's really fun to get emails saying "you've
won" and be happy to keep your budget OK ;-)!!
bill harting a écrit :

Shannon, I usually do what I think you did on

Ebay, decide what I'm
willing to pay, make the bid and that's that. I

don't sit waiting for
the auction to end, and though I have "sniped" my

rule is not to second
guess myself. Until later. I hate to lose things

by a dollar, but who
knows how high the winning bidder might have been

willing to go?

Bill

Shannon Stoney wrote:

I've always thought it was sort of funny that

ebay uses that term,
"win." As in, "You won!" It seems to imply that

you got it for free.
Maybe they should say instead, "You bought it!"

Of course, the desire to "win" is what fuels

bidding I suppose. Next
time I'll wait till near the end to bid. I've

been a seller on ebay
more than I've been a buyer, so I guess I'm sort

of naive about the
buying process.

--shannon

       'Winning' isn't always winning.

   --     Justin F. Knotzke
   jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx
   http://www.shampoo.ca

Ce message est constitu?Ed'au moins 50 % d'électrons
recyclés.
S'il vous plaû‘, aidez nous ?Econserver nos
ressources,
recyclez vos électrons !

____________________________________________________________________________________Building a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives you all the tools to get online. http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting =============================================================================================================

  Bogdan Karasek
  Montréal, Québec                     bogdan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Canada                               www.bogdanphoto.com

                  "I photograph my reality"