[pure-silver] Re: buying photo stuff on ebay

  • From: Laurence Cuffe <cuffe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 11:12:27 -0700

On Friday, May 25, 2007, at 12:06PM, "Nick Zentena" <zentena@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
>On Friday 25 May 2007 11:05, Edward C. Zimmermann wrote:

Strategy on ebay depends on the item. I just won a nikon F5 for $325.  I have
been watching F5 prices over the pas three months, and there are generally
about 50-60 cameras up at any one time. I looked at completed auction prices
and determined what was a realistic bargain price to expect. I then bid
systematically on the items, reading the listings with care and being relaxed
when I was outbid.  The camera a bought I bid on twice, once I didn't get it
because it had too high a reserve, but the second time I got it and it is as
described and works fine.

This works fine for items like this where there will be "another one along in a
minute".  In other cases you may wish to be more circumspect, and may even wish
to consider the timing of you questions to the seller. For instance for an item
described as a "compur camera" with no bids you may want to wait until very
late in the day before asking if the writing around the lens says Helliar.

On occasion I've snipped. This is probably most useful when its an uncommon
item which you are not prepared to pay top dollar for. This works because If
the item is uncommon this raises the chances that the people you are bidding
against are not very experienced bidders.  This means that they are more likely
to chase up to unrealistic prices in a bidding war, and means that they are
less likely to use snipping tools.

My 2c.

Larry Cuffe