[pure-silver] Re: best tool for cutting matboard

  • From: Russ Gorman <rusty57@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 11:07:58 -0700

The Dexter mat cutter, which you can find in a lot of places is the one my friends seem to swear by for large straight cuts, you use it in combination with a straightedge. I'm a little mat challenged and ended up with a more substantial 3m branded mat cutter which has the more complex sliding rail and straightedge built in. A utility knife available at any hardware store holds single edge straight razor blades and is great for cutting heavy mat board, it's just maintaining it against the straightedge that is difficult. the Dexter cutter glides along the straightedge and is easier to control.

On Apr 3, 2008, at 9:46 AM, Shannon Stoney wrote:

I am framing some prints today, and I have to cut the matboard before cutting the window, but I do it on a self healing mat because the 32x40 matboard is too big to fit in my little mat cutter. What is the best tool for this preliminary cutting? I was taught to use an exacto knife, but I have to make many swipes with the blade before the pieces come apart, and I'm thinking there must be a better tool for this. Like maybe a box cutter? I saw one with a pistol grip the other day at an art store. An employee was using it to cut cardboard.

What do people on this list use?

--shannon