[pure-silver] Re: Worlds Fastest Camera Defies Gravity...

  • From: "Stein" <rstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 11:10:23 +0800

Dear Jeffrey,

     I have found that one can obtain the best and truest vegetables in the
green grocers of the more upmarket suburbs - they seem to charge more for
their produce based upon its appearance rather than taste. Some of the
potatoes you get in the cheap supermarkets are ugly looking bugs. I suppose
one could mash them and then compress the result into a stiff plug and put a
driving band around the base but this seems to defeat the purpose of the
exercise.

    Apples work, if you patch them.

    Note Bene: back to photography for a moment - those same upmarket
greengrocers are the go for still-life subjects when you need the best
produce for your food or art set. You can find good produce in the local
Woolies but the girls at the checkout counter can hardly be pursuaded not to
mangle the stuff as they pack it into bags and then you have bruised
models*. Con the Fruiterer ( " Coupla Days...") is your best bet, and get
him on side as to what you are going to use the produce for - he'll know
when the best flat of tomatoes is going to come in.
But do not ignore the humble purveyor of Chinese plastic fruit or artificial
flowers. In the background, soft lighting, use the Imagon...works a treat.
Plus you can save it for next time.

    I'll stop now before I get someone in trouble. Sure as fate, if I
describe the dry-ice mortar or the tennis ball grenade or Dropshort the
counterweight trebuchet someone will eventually sheet it home to me. I was
never here and this never happened.

 Uncle Dick

* As opposed to family portraits when this is exactly the desired effect.
Sock full of wet sand.