[pure-silver] Re: Worlds Fastest Camera Defies Gravity...

  • From: "Ken Hough " <k4sb@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 17:43:32 -0500

This is simple to do. build a Electronic flash with a 1/10,000 duration.
(Radio Shack has the Xeon tubes) Hang the balloon. Put an adjustable
optical sensor and a light source on either side of the balloon. Set your
camera up. Turn the room lights out. Open the shutter. Prick the balloon
with a pin. If all works right the latex will block the light till it
retracts away from the sphere of water.. The light passes through the
water triggering the electronic flash. Been there and did this. Harold
Edgertons plans for this 1943 experiment are on the internet.Muybridges
experiments took a few tries till his negs were printable. He had to push
the processing.  Happy searching!
Ken

Worlds Fastest Camera Defies Gravity...

For a split second.

Recently I saw a demonstration of what is described as
the worlds fastest TV camera... it is so fast it can
reveal (I am reminded of... how do you spell it,
Muybridge (?)) that water contained in a balloon,
remains motionless for a period after the balloon
"skin" is no longer present.

The lens on this baby is as large as your face, and
works under ordinary lighting, not strobes.

Anyone know what shutter speed this would translate
into, if we wanted to do it with an ordinary still
film camera?

I guess, to be realistic, I should ask what strobe
duration would be required, since I doubt no
traditional camera could come close...

(right?)

Ray