[pure-silver] Re: Wonderful Photo Essay

  • From: Elias Roustom <elroustom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 08:56:44 -0500

I'm sure my wife would have killed me, and that would have been my last photograph.

The toilet photo was especially poignant for me - walking dad to the bathroom, and helping sit, and get back up, was one of the few things I could do for him towards the end. He let me feel like I was being useful, and I let him feel like he could still do it on his own. A win-win in a losing battle.

E.

On Nov 6, 2009, at 8:31 AM, BOB KISS wrote:

DEAR DON,
        Well said.  We must remember that a photo that creates a feeling of
discomfort is not necessarily bad. The precedent of an affectionate photo of someone on the throne was established by Lartigue when he photographed his new bride, Bibi, on "the throne" the first morning of their honeymoon. It is embarrassingly intimate and affectionate...and that is exactly what
makes it so amazing and memorable.
http://arts.guardian.co.uk/pictures/image/0,8543,-10504954434,00.html
        Of course, this is different in many ways from the photo in the
essay but the motivation is love, perhaps of different kinds, in both
photos.
                CHEERS!
                        BOB