[pure-silver] Re: Will Kodak HIE be next? Re: Tech Pan offici ally discontinued, substitu

  • From: "Breukel, C. (HKG)" <C.Breukel@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 13:54:03 +0200

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Edward C. Zimmermann [mailto:edz@xxxxxxx]
> > > - who needs it?
> >
> > ..most B&W shooters, (occasionally)..
> >

> Very very occasionally..

..well there is a (small) group of devoted follewers..;-)..

> Demand was low enough that the sheet
> versions are
> already deemed as historical artefacts

..indeed Kodak stopt produced 4*5 HSI about 2 years ago, partly indeed
because of demand, but the last batches were plagued by pinhole problems
(also MACO is btw, too a lesser extend, fortunately). Aonther rumour was
that the 4*5 HSYI was cutdown from 8*10 film, a special product for the army
(air surveliance perhaps)..

> HIE? Are you kidding.. ? Its got a poor shelf-life, demands
> special handling
> and storage.

..special handling: agree, but storage: I have kept quite a few HIE at
-20degC, and used them later, much beyond their expiry date with no ill
effect (HIE has a very low B&F, so increased B&F should be quite noticable I
assume))

> > > - what are the margins?
> >
> > ..don't know
> >

> I think HIE is already--- at just under 15 EURO/roll-- at the
> absolute high
> end of where it can go.. Would you pay 20 or 30 EURO? Surely not..

..indeed!..

> The Maco IR820 is not really an IR film but its less than
> half the price of
> the Kodak item

..it's "doped" EFKE PL100 film with IR sensitive dyes, and it's quite a nice
film with good IR effect IMHO..

> > > - any value-added?
> >
> > ..one-of-akind character, film sees "deepest" into IR (920
> nm I believe)
> >

> Even Chinese Lucky film is "one of a kind"..

..but not a IR film..

Best,

Cor