[pure-silver] Re: Will Kodak HIE be next? Re: Tech Pan offici ally discontinued, substitu

  • From: "Breukel, C. (HKG)" <C.Breukel@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 12:17:30 +0200

..another "queer" aplication would be chemical solarization for which
Techpan is the best film, but I agree, this is very much outside mainstreet,
and for that specific purpose I have more than enough Techpan in my
freezer..

> The future of HIE? The questions to ask are:
> - any room for increasing the price

..well that Kodak has been dooing for quite soem time now (at least in
Holland)..

> - who needs it?

..most B7W shooters, (occasionally)..

> - any replacement films, technologies?

..Maco, but not with the same ant-halo and big grain character, and at a
much slower speed..

> - how well does the product store?

..just like an "normal" B&W film..

> - what are the margins?

..don't know

> - any value-added?

..one-of-akind character, film sees "deepest" into IR (920 nm I believe)

> - how does the production fit into Kodak's manufacturing?

...don't know, rumours were that thanks to the army Kodak kept IR film
alive..

> Anaswer these and the future of HIE should be easy to predict...

..we'll see..;-)..

best,

Cor