[pure-silver] Re: Who is left in the B&W market?

  • From: "Edward C. Zimmermann" <edz@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 09:39:31 +0100

Quoting "Ralph W. Lambrecht" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Fuji's Rembrandt paper is made by Fuji, but again not intended for export
> with some exporters to do so anyway. It will be added to the list.
>
> Oriental paper is made by... Ilford!

Ralph, not so quick.. Even "IF" the new emulsions are from Ilford they are
being finished in Japan and the old emulsions are still available (just
no longer being coated). Can Cybergraphics (the current name of Oriental)
still coat?

In talking about a lot of materials we are NOT really talking about coating
since few of us (not even the makers) really know what they'll be coating
(and offering) only what they have in stocks (either cut down or still in
master/jumbo rolls) and what they could make should they choose to. A lot
of materials don't get coated very often. Technical Pan, for instance, may
have been discontinued a year ago but the last time it was coated was
in the 1990s. Some companies still can coat but don't and a few companies
selling product don't coat anymore since they no longer have the coating
capacity. Ilford, for example, had the capacity but for a time was not
coating (and the future was open). AgfaPhoto (currently in liquidation) has
the capacity but stopped coating (and the future of the coating capacity is
open and bleak).

Instead maybe of asking "who is making film and paper" and "what", it might
make more sense to ask "Who still has the capacity to coat film and/or
paper"? And then ask (not the same question): Who is currently coating.

The list will look quite different and many MORE companies will show up..
There are several companies in the world currently coating motion picture
print, X-Ray and special industrial materials. The intellectual content of
our films, of course, are different but we are talking of "capacity" (and
among the list are companies with IP but no capacity)...

We need to also talk about product. There are many suitable "industrial"
films that can well be used into our cameras.. such as traffic/surveillance,
microfilm and cine stocks. There are loads of 35mm microfilms available (and
its still hardly obsolete technology). Sure, few microfilms are available for
our 35mm cameras as most are unperforated.. but they CAN be perforated..

P.S.: Fotokemika no longer exists and has gone into liquidation. The property
in Zagreb was sold. The machines were moved and the company went bankrupt.
The new company is "Nova Fotokemika" in Samobor. This is, I think, the basis
for the name "Adox" as the future of Efke is unclear. Are they coating?

Edward C. Zimmermann, Basis Systeme netzwerk, Munich
Office Leo (R&D):
   Leopoldstrasse 53-55, D-80802 Munich,
   Federal Republic of Germany
http://www.nonmonotonic.net