[pure-silver] Re: What is this old film?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 18:44:58 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "janet ness" <nessj@xxxxxxx>
To: "pure-silver" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2007 8:48 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] What is this old film?

At a camera sale last weekend I bought a box of 4x5 Kodak Direct Duplicating SO-015 film. Can I use this film to make enlarged negatives? Can it be used under a safelight, although the box says "only in total darkness." Can it be developed in Dektol? The film is dated Feb. 1975. It may be useless, but it was cheap.

Janet Ness

The closest film to SO 015 I can find in my archives is Kodak Professional B/W Duplicating Film 4168. This operates on the principle I mentioned in my last post. I have data in a 1984 edition of _Kodak Black-and-White Professional Films_ Publication F-5. 4168 was available in sheet sizes: 4x5, 5x7, 8x10. It was an orthochromatic film which could be processed under a Wratten Series 1A safelight (dark red). It has no ISO speed because there is no exposure standard that fits its unique type. KOdak suggests making test exposures of about 40 seconds with a light source producing about 3 footcandles at the exposure plane. Processing is in DK-50, full strength, for about 7 minutes at 70F in a large tank or in a tray using Dektol 1:1 for 2 minutes at 70F. A charisteric chart shows the variation in contrast using DK-50 for times of 5 minutes to 8 minutes. I can send you a scan of what I have. I _might_ have an old PDF datasheet somewhere but I don't know for certain. In any case this might give you some sort of guide about the film, assuming it is still usable. I did a Google search but most of the returns were articles mentioning the use of the film rather than data about it. This is a very high resolution, very fine grain, film, probably similar to microfilm in some ways. It evidently needs to be fixed quite thoroughly for permanence and should be toned in a protective toner. The data sheet suggests Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner at 1:19 but that has proved ineffective for microfilm. Kodak Brown Toner is a better protective toner.

---