[pure-silver] Re: What happens when XTOL dies

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 15:04:13 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Koch, Gerald" <gkoch02@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, March 01, 2006 12:36 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: What happens when XTOL dies

For my previous post, if it's of any interest, the pH of the developer
listed in Patent 5,210,010 assigned to Ilford is 8.5 +/- 0.05 when
diluted 1+4.

The pH for the Microphen substitute is 8.8 +/- 0.13.

Jerry

The Kodak publication is CIS-61, which is still on the web site. It gives pH for the solutions used in color processing and some B&W stuff. The folowing are from this publication:

Developer                pH
D-76, full strength     8.5 +/- 0.05
T-Max 1 to 4            8.37 +/- 0.05
T-Max RS 1 to 4         8.5 +/- 0.05
Xtol, full strength     8.2 +/- 0.05

The pH in the Kodak MSDS are given with rather large tollerances. Those in the Ilford MSDS are given for the separate parts of the developer solution but not for the working developer so they are pretty useless.
FWIW, the MSDS for Agfa Rodinal gives the pH of the _concentrate_ as "approximately 14".
I have not yet looked at the archive on Ryuji's site.

---