[pure-silver] Re: What Is Your Fix/Clear/Toning Doctrine

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 11:06:34 -0800

    Yes, in acid some elemental selenium can be evolved from the toner which causes a "peach" colored stain which can not be remove. The whole idea of diluting KRST in HCA was to avoid this. Washing before toning also avoids it.
   Note, the acid in fixing baths is for the hardener or to stop development, thiosulfate is not dependent on pH, it will fix in an alkaline or neutral bath just fine. A "plain" fixing bath should have some sulfite in it to prevent decomposition of the thiosulfate and to prevent staining from carried over developer.
    In the distant past the performance of the hardener was very important because emulsions were not hardened nearly as much in manufacture as they are now. The recommendations for very long fixing times were to give the hardener time to work. The lifetime of fixing baths was often judged by the performance of the hardener rather than the fixer.

On 2/16/2021 7:53 AM, BOB KISS wrote:

Zack's post reminded me of some research I read a while back...that it was the acidity from the hardener as well as residual fixer that interacted with the emulsion and KRST to produce the stains.  That is why, as Robert said, rinse, hypoclear, wash, THEN KRST, then wash again, works best to prevent stains.