[pure-silver] Warm-tone Papers

  • From: Eric Nelson <emanmb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 16:12:17 -0700 (PDT)

I tried some Oriental VC warm tone paper the other day
and found that I liked it, yet couldn't find any
mention of it in a quick search of the archives.  I'd
been using Forte Polywarmtone but since it's demise,
have been wondering which warmtone paper to use next.
I haven't a body of work I need to match, so starting
with a new brand is fine.  In some ways I wished I had
started using Oriental WT much sooner thinking back to
some 180 second exposures on Forte.

I found the Oriental MUCH faster and higher contrast
than Forte.  Also it was much warmer thereby negating
the need to mix Ansco 115 every time I want to use a
warmtone paper and get a really warm image.

Ansco 115 (glycin) and Oriental might give even better
results than Dektol 1:1 but having a high degree of
warmth in common ol' dektol is a plus for Oriental
paper.

Forte on top of being glacially slow, typically needed
a 3.5 filter to print nicely from a PMK neg.  Using
higher contrast filters caused the print to render
less warm so I would frequently need to dilute more to
countereact that, thereby increasing development
times.

I've found that Bergger's warmtone performed equally
in terms of speed to Forte and seemed to offer no
major difference other than a thicker paper, which is
nice in some respects yet doesn't, in my mind, justify
the cost of it.  My testing of it is not nearly as
extensive as with Forte.

So I'm wondering what others have experienced and
their preferences in terms of warmtone papers that are
still avaiable.  I'm hoping that there are folks on
the list that have worked or still do work with all or
most of them to give me an idea if I should keep with
Oriental for now or test some others.  I have tried
Ilford's warmtone as well, but didn't find the warmth
as great nor any paper speed advantage.  There's
Fomatone and perhaps a few others I've not tried and
I'm curious as to what people have found in their
testing and printing experiences as to what works best
for them

I know there can be more opinions on this than there
are days in the year, but I'm just hoping to either
confirm my experience, or find a consensus of some
sort to steer me to one other paper to try without
having to test every warmtone paper and developer
combination out there ...again.

Eric
http://archival-photo.net
http://www.eman-photo.com