[pure-silver] Re: Toner for chocolate brown tone

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 18:57:35 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2007 5:31 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Toner for chocolate brown tone
possible.
It seems to me that a strong Iodide bleach would convert the silver to Silver Iodide which could then be toned with KBT or any of the indirect toner formulas. I may try this since I have the necessary materials for it at hand.

Well, I just tried this. The result was a sort of reddish sepia similar to the color POP turns during exposure. The paper was Freestyle Arista, probably made by Kentmere, a relatively neutral tone RC paper. I bleached it in Iodine from the drugstore diluted in water. I didn't want to use up much so it was a rather slow acting bleach. I bleached down to the point were the image was barely visible in the darkest areas. It turned it a sort of orange color. I then washed this for a few minutes and re-developed it in a mixture of Kodak Brown Toner and Kodak Selenium Toner with Sodium Carbonate. This is supposed to be simiar to the late, lamented Polytoner, but is certainly not identical. The toner took a couple of minutes to reach maximum density. This was quite a bit lighter than the print was originally. I purposely chose a print which I thought was a little dark. After toning I rinsed the paper in water, then in a little Kodak Hypo Clearing Agent stock, and finally washed it for 4 minutes. This was all very makeshift and casual but did give some results. I think there was not much difference between the color gotten this way and by direct use of the toner on the same paper. I can think of so many variations that I am not sure how valuable this experiment was but it did serve to distract me from an annoying cold.

---