[pure-silver] Re: Tominon, Ysaron

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 17:03:33 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene Johnson" <genej2@xxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2005 3:33 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Tominon, Ysaron

> BTW, with regard to these lenses,  Doesn't anyone but me
> think it's
> interesting that they should make them exactly 127mm f4.7?

    I think this is a limitation of the shutter maximum
aperture. For instance, Kodak made two versions of the Ektar
used on the Medalist camera. The Medalist lens was 100mm,
f/3.5, the stand alone version for 3x4 press cameras was
105mm, f/3.7. The ratio of the focal lengths and stops is
exactly the same. Someone once said that Rudolf Kingslake
said in a lecture that both lenses used exactly the same
elements but spaced to change the focal length. I think that
can't be quite true because such a change would probably
throw off all the corrections. But, you never know and I
don't have the prescriptions for either lens.
    The 127mm, f/4.7 Ektar as used on press cameras, is
limited by the maximum clear aperture of the No.2 Kodak
Supermatic shutter. The next larger size shutter is much
larger and operates only to 1/200th second rather than to
1/400th.
    127mm is exactly 5 inches and is the right diagonal for
3-3/4 x 4-3/4. The Kodak Ektar is remarkable in being able
to cover 4x5 with corner to corner sharpness at f/8. This
lens was used on 4x5 press cameras because press
photographers wanted a slightly wide angle lens. The 135mm
Tessar, which was standard on 4x5 Speed Graphics is also
somewhat wide angle for the format. Normal is 152mm.

---