[pure-silver] Re: Threading Enlarger Lenses

  • From: Snoopy <snoopy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 09:10:01 +0100

Dear Jim,

Jim Brick wrote:
Another way (if the plate that you are screwing in to is thin enough) is to screw the lens down until it stops, then back it up until the numbers face the front, then put an enlarger lens 'jam nut' on the back to lock it in place.

Yes, but that would be really difficult to keep in alingment ? After all the jam nut exerts pressure the ther way and hence the lens won't sit straight if the rear side of the mount is uneven ?

 Most (I think most) enlargers don't have threads for
mounting a lens. It's just a hole. You stick the lens through the hole, aligned the way you want, then use a jam nut to lock it in place. The same will work if the lens hole is threaded. The only gotcha would be that you cannot get to the back of the lens to screw down a jam nut. Then only a shim will work.

No it's not just a hole: it has a thread in it which seats the lens. On my Durst, the whole thing is a small plate, which you can rotate. You can easily unmount or rotate the plates. So I have my lenses always on these plates and just swap th entire lens/plate combo. Plus I can then align it.

However I fail to see why the numbers are so important.

Either I leave the lens at "three clicks" down and my wonderous Analyser Pro does the rest via the time

OR

I simply count the clicks up and down from either "end" of the range.

I never really look at the f-stop. And when I record exposure info on the back of the contace sheet, I just record the number of clicks. Clicking works well in the dark too.

LOve,
Snoopy