[pure-silver] Re: Threading Enlarger Lenses

  • From: john stockdale <j.sto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2008 10:39:25 +1000

Adrienne Moumin wrote:

Snoopy, the reason for wanting the lenses to face front is that I'm teaching a bunch of high-school students. We are getting into fine-tuning prints, and I think being sure what aperture they are using is getting in the way of most of them. Richard, most of them are omega C700's w/condenser heads. And a Beseler or 2, not sure of the model. I cannot get the lens to face front on any of them. Thanks for everyone's advice & comments. Adrienne Moumin

If all the lenses are the same, you could train the students to just count clicks from fully open. This would not work if the lenses had different apertures, or different click behaviour, such as full-stop, half-stop etc. Especially if the students used not the same enlarger each time.

Personally, I can hardly see the aperture numbers on my enlarger lenses, but my eyesight is a bit more aged than that of your students, I'm sure.

For the Beseler ones, I would be surprised if the boards were threaded. The Beselers are simple machines. The ones I have used had square lens boards, and so there were 4 positions in which they could be placed in the lens stage. (This might have a subtle difference in exact enlarger alignment, but that problem could be dealt with next!)

John Stockdale