[pure-silver] Re: This Seems Silly To Me...

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 20:32:52 -0700

   Swings and Tilts (isn't that a ride at the circus?) are really an illusion (not meant as a joke). The lens produces a flat plane of focus on both subject and image sides. When the lens is tilted the plane also tilts, when the back is tilted its the same, its just moved to intercept a different plane. Same with rising and falling, you are just selecting a different portion of the flat plane of focus projected by the lens. One gets the illusion of extended depth of field by moving the plane of focus to coincide with the objects one wants to be sharp in the image. I may not be explaining this well.
    There are two sorts of autofocus, I am not sure which is meant here. One is the sort found on enlargers. Its usually a mechanical coupling via a cam between the bellows movement and the movement of the projection head on the standard. When operating correctly it keeps the image on the printing paper in focus. If swings and tilts are used on the enlarger the autofocus will still move the bellows in accordance with the head height but the part of the image plane may not be the same. A corrector could be used to vary it somewhat and maintain the focus.
    Cameras may have a different kind of auto focus. That is one where a sensor in the camera decides what to focus on and adjusts the lens. It works as a sort of automatic rangefinder. I am actually not sure how the automatic focus on digital cameras works but in some way they sense the angle of the light from the lens to make it equal at two or more points (maybe I have invented something). I think this would work even if the image plane was tilted but would focus on one place or distance, which is, after all, what happens to the image where manual swings and tilts are used.
    I can picture what I mean but am not sure I am explaining it well.
    Keep in mind that the auto focus in digital cameras does not always focus on what you want. Often they focus on the brightest object in the picture. Also, a focused point will be brighter than a blurred one which is often a good indication of whether something is in focus.
    While we usually think of the image in a camera as being two dimensional it is actually three dimensional, there being an infinity of in-focus planes on both sides.

On 4/29/2022 7:39 AM, MARK SAMPSON (msampson45) wrote:

I’m sure Sinar or Linhof could invent such a device, but it would cost more than a nice house in the suburbs… and would take longer to learn than the methods we already know.
Mark S

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 29, 2022, at 7:05 AM, Richard Urmonas <richard@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Nooooo! Autofocus has enough problems with just one point of focus, now you want multiple points of focus.  It is going to be quicker to manually focus than to half press the shutter button a couple of thousand times before it locks onto the multiple subjects you want it to!

Richard Urmonas

On 4/29/22 06:28, BOB KISS (bobkiss) wrote:

A "Catch 22" kinda question:How could he have swings and tilts and STILL have autofocus?Once you move the optical axis off of the "normal" (3D version of perpendicular) to the film plane (by swinging or tilting either film or lens plane), focus becomes a more complex issue.Now, if you wanna impress me, make a camera with swings and tilts on front and back and autofocus that calculates and implements Scheimpflug at the same time!Now THAT would be cool!