[pure-silver] Re: Tech Pan officially discontinued, substitu

  • From: Michael Briggs <MichaelBriggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 21:05:46 -0500 (CDT)

The exact words at the Kodak link provided by Claudio are "... we no longer
manufacture the ESTAR support on which the 35 mm product was coated.".    Kodak
makes or buys ESTAR in several variations: the old datasheet (P-255) for Tech
Pan lists the base as ESTAR-AH for 35 mm, ESTAR Thick for sheets.  (120 is on
3.6 mil acetate.)   Since Kodak specifically mentions that the base is
unavailable for 35 mm Tech Pan, I assume that they no longer make ESTAR-AH.
AFAIK, all Kodak sheet films are on a thicker ESTAR base.  If Kodak were giving
up completely on ESTAR they would probably have to discontinue all sheet film.
As to the impact on other products, I suggest hunting down the datasheets and
seeing the exact words used for the base.  Anything on ESTAR-AH may be in
danger.

As Richard said in his email, ESTAR is a tradename for polyestar. Polyestar is
more dimensionally and chemically stable and more tear resistant than acetate
base.  It is not commonly used for roll film.

Polyestar film base is a spin off of the Cold War -- it was developed by Kodak
for the CORONA spy satellites because film on acetate base was ripping in the
camera.  A quick google search found
http://www.globalsecurity.org/space/systems/kh-1.htm

--Michael