[pure-silver] Steve Rosenthal's New England Churches

  • From: Elias Roustom <elroustom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 21:56:42 -0500

I was lucky enough to catch the Steve Rosenthal show at the Cape Ann Museum on the last day of the exhibit.

I even got to meet and chat with Mr. Rosenthal.

The work was phenomenal. all 4x5 negatives, Imacon scanned, and digital output. From 2 feet away, it didn't matter one bit, even from 8 inches away... with my reading glasses on, and from as close as I could focus, I was missing something... that being the image I drove two hours to see. Large prints all - maybe 16x20. Stunning. He said everything in the prints is in the negative, but the dynamic range of the prints was selectively enhanced in photoshop for a few of them. He talked a bit about some of the things he really wanted to show in his prints that he was able to pull off digitally, that he couldn't do in a darkroom.

The real inspiration was being in a room with 45 years worth of passion on "a project that was never intended as a project", and an artist who could still get excited about how a certain highlight was teased out of a negative.

Couldn't afford the book, but it looked well worth the $90 price.

Elias