[pure-silver] Re: Source of Dimezone-S/ antifreeze

  • From: "John Black" <jblack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 11:58:58 -0400

> Wouldn't it be nicer to find some nonvolatile, weakly polar solvent
> that is practically water miscible? Preferably ones that make easily
> reversible esters with developing agents.

Yes, it would.  I have tried Gainer's aproach using TEA, ethylene and propylene
glycols as a solvent and they work fine but require more heat for
solubilization of the phenidone and acorbic acid than I think is healthy.  The
methanol can be heated by imersion in ordinary bath water or hot water from the
tap (about 100F/38C) and both chemicals disolve readily.  The ascorbic acid
takes a little stiring to disolve 10gm in 120ml but it will stay in solution
when cooled to room temp.

I can live with the modest flamability of methanol and acceptable vapor
pressure (evaporation rate). It also doesn't draw water from the air as bad as
other alcohols (hygroscopic). Mainly I used it because it was readily available
to me in my vocation.

There could certianly be other, better solvents.

JB