[pure-silver] Re: Skies

  • From: "Dana H. Myers" <dana.myers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 15:27:50 -0700

Richard Knoppow wrote:

>     The nature of most B&W emulsions is such that they have too much
> sensitivity to blue. Kodak's T-Max films have a more balanced
> sensitivity. I find that T-Max100 or 400 will give me about the same
> tone rendition as, say, Plus-X with a K-2 filter, so these films may be
> a good choice for landscape work.

I was *just* about to respond with "try T-Max for somewhat more natural
skies" myself, but you took the words out of my mouth :-)

> I don't know if Ilford Delta films
> have similar sensitization but I suspect its likely. In any case, the
> spectral sensitivity curves are usually in the data sheets for films.

While I don't have a great deal of experience with Delta 100, the one
roll I recently shot the same day as a roll of TMX indicates that blue
sky renders similarly, at least for me.

Dana