[pure-silver] Re: Skies

  • From: dhowk <dhowk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 18:10:14 -0400

In the East its almost a catch-22. I use a red filter to get better contrast & definition in the skies; but in so doing the tree line gets darker. So I have to dodge that area to get some detail. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Doug Howk
On May 12, 2007, at 5:30 PM, Justin F. Knotzke wrote:

I had purchased "Edge of Darkness" by Barry Thornton a few years ago. Great book BTW. It's the book you should read _after_ Adam's trilogy. It's well written and well laid out. A little anal in spots though.

But what interests me most in his book is his images. They really are fantastic. What most strikes me is his skies. I can remember back to when I was a teen and in high school (back when Jesus was still a cowboy) and my art teacher laying into me because I never painted in the entire paper. I always left the skies white.. unpainted.

Well, so many of my landscapes are like that.. the skies are white. I try to burn it in.. The clouds are there on the negs but after a while, I'd give up. Burning in skies is such PITA.

So my question is, what do you do to get real skies on your prints ? Do you use red filters ? Do you N+3 to get your skies ? Or do you burn the living daylights (literally) to get your skies on your prints ?

   Thanks

Justin F. Knotzke
jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx
http://www.shampoo.ca