[pure-silver] Re: Sistan Saga

  • From: "Adrienne Moumin" <photowonder2010@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 22:56:00 -0400

Well, wouldn't you know it, squeegee-ing the prints & drying face down worked like a charm, they dried beautifully. The 36-hour-old small orange puddles were STILL wet, but both those & the already dried ones came off easily in a water bath prior to treatment. (I was so relieved about not having to re-print all those images!)

Thank you, Christopher and Richard, for kindly copying the relevant section of the Agfa chemical pdf. I'd certainly take you up on your generous offer to e-mail me the 2 PDFs, Richard, but Daniel Bouzard has very thoughtfully already sent me the chemical one, and I actually managed to download the paper one some time ago. All of you, please accept this very appreciative virtual hug!

In light of this, I think it is hilarious that Agfa FINALLY responded to my e-mail, stating, "I do not have a MSDS that says "New Sistan", I do have one for Sistan." The attachment which came with the e-mail was actually for "L5000b Developer for Lithostar." Just amazing, eh? So I wrote back & just can't wait to see what comes my way next time!

In any event, I am having a weird time trying to wrap my mind around having to actually touch this stuff w/my bare hands when I thought it was about as dangerous as the plague. I squeegee prints on a sheet of lucite, then have to use a fingernail to pry up an edge to remove it from the lucite. And then my fingers to sort of "peel" it off to remove it completely from the lucite. And to think I was so gingerly using the tongs to drain it in the pre-squeegee days of last week, while I usually only use rubber gloves (no tongs) w/everything except selenium. Or is there a better procedure which is obvious to everyone but me? (Perhaps I might inquire of the "Product Safety Coordinator" at Agfa who sent me the wrong PDF!!)

Thanks again to all who responded, and to all who shared their comments & experiences.

-Adrienne Moumin

And please remember: ART HAS NO RULES.