[pure-silver] Re: Sistan

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 14:27:46 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Adrienne Moumin" <photowonder2010@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2007 8:22 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Sistan

I have sworn off Sistan as of this morning.

I always dry Sistan-ed prints face down on the screens because otherwise pools form in the lower areas of the paper as it dries and becomes wavy.

I just did a big batch, and most of them came out w/areas of screen marks, etc, dried onto the surface. I soaked them while agitating for a few minutes, thinking that would wash out the Sistan, but it didn't make any difference.

Maybe someone else has had better experiences, and would like to have it? I literally have a case or so, about 40+ bottles. Free to the first taker, Washington, DC area.

Adrienne Moumin

I don't know if this was an effect of the Sistan. AFAIK, it does not soften the emulsion. Sistan contains Potassium Thiocyanate and a wetting agent AKA Triton-100, also found in Kodak Photo-Flo. The thiocyanates are silver solvents but also function as stabilizers in very small amounts. One problem with Sistan is that it can cause stains if too much is left in the emulsion. While it is intended as a final bath film and prints should really be squeegeed after using it to prevent the staining. Do you get screen marks on prints on the same paper processed in the same way but without the Sistan?

---