[pure-silver] Re: Simple rules WAS: spoiled by my new lens

  • From: Shannon Stoney <sstoney@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 20:27:03 -0500

You need to tell us MORE details.
1.Camera type

Tachihara 4x5.

2. Was it fastened down REALLY good.
3. Were the movements locked down. No wobble of the front or rear
standards?

Can't remember, but next time I shoot I'll make sure.

4. Long or short cable release. Long is better. Fastened to a tripod leg
is good

I have a pretty long one.  How long is long enough?

5. Tripod type. Center column up or down where it belongs. Everything
REALLY tight?
6. Windy?
7. Long exposures while the wind was blowing?
8. Lensboard snug?
9. Film holders have been standardized since the late 30s. That should not
be a concern. There's a dozen more rules but you will have to invent them
for yourself.

I made some more exposures with the same lens and camera the other day to test some new development times, etc, and the same sort of not-quite-sharpness was there. I could have goofed a year ago when I was making the other negatives of the old house, but it seems unlikely that I would have goofed in the exact same way again just the other day, when there was no wind, etc.

The lensboard I use came with the camera. The other lens works fine with this camera.

--shannon