[pure-silver] Re: Silver Recovery

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 20:14:14 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Blackwell" <mblackwell1958@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, December 27, 2007 5:40 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Silver Recovery

I am finally ready to build the silver recovery system I have been planning for some time. Id welcome comments.

First I have tons of old dc wall transformers that are left over from things like old telephones, answering machines and any of a host of electrical devices. As long as its DC current it should work. Yet I may have some choice of voltages, if there is an ideal voltage I should look for Id appreciate it. I think most of the old ones are in the 6 to 12 volt range.

It will be plugged into a power strip that is plugged into a GFI socket. I guess it could be plugged into the GFI directly, but it wouldn't be as easy. Still as long as the strip is plugged into the GFI, it should be relatively safe.

As far as circulation I am planning to use an air pump to just move the water around enough to allow enough circulation around the electrodes to keep it working. As far as the electrode material, I know one has to be copper but can't both be or does the other electrode need to be a different material such as stainless. I have a couple of options on how to attach the wires. The copper side I am planning on using a piece of either copper plumbing pipe or heavier copper wire.

As far as the container, I am planning to use a large plastic type of tote Rubber will be ideal if I can find it, but it sure won't be metal.

What am I missing now before I actually start building?

I did a Google search but did not find any specific instructions. However, a more thorough search may turn something up. From what I did find it appears that in-line electrolytic recovery is not trivial to implement. The advantages of the technique is that it can regenerate fixing baths or bleach-fixing baths. Also the purity of the recovered silver is high. However, in order to dispose of the baths they must be subsequently treated with some other kind of recovery device such as a metallic replacement system or activated charcoal filter because the silver level is too high to meet environmental protection standards. In terms of cost a metallic replacement filter appears to be best. These are not suitable for regnerating purposes but can reduce the silver content of spent solutions to the point where they are no longer environmental hazards, at least not from the silver, but the recovered silver may be worth the effort. One site I looked at estimated the value of the silver from a spent B&W fixing bath at around $1.50 US (sounds a little high to me). color processes remove all the silver from the film so the value of the recovered silver may be even higher.

---