[pure-silver] Re: Shot of another defective print

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 19:23:39 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Nelson" <emanmb@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, August 11, 2007 4:11 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Shot of another defective print

I forgot to mention that.  I use fiberglass screens to
dry and a dry mount press to flatten.
I use a piece of rag board cut to size to protect from
the press' pad in case anything is in there and change
out the board from time to time.
Eric

Its possible some contaminant was on the screens although fiberglass should not absorb anything. A warm water rinse should clean them. The idea of the screens is that they retard the drying of the emulsion with regard to the support to reduce curling. The same thing for the waxpaper in blotters. The moisture leaves through the support. Dry mounting is supposed to be quite archival. The only objection to it is that dry mounted prints may be diffult to remove if they ever need restoration. I think dry mounting looks better than any other method. However, current gallery practice is to mount prints using something like archival quality corners under a matt. This can be made to look good if the prints are flattened in a drymount press. Usually, if the press is too hot the effects will be immediate. Some papers are subject to "plumming" a change in the structure of the silver particals brough on by the heat. This results in a plum-colored stain as the name implys. Modern dry mounting tissue fusses at a quite low temperature and modern papers have anti-plumming ingredients so this is not a very common problem. A long time ago I posted my own version of the Seal mounting method. It may still be in the Pure Silver archives. If not, I will dig it out, see if in needs any corrections, and post it again. Part of the method is flattening the prints in the press, this method works fine for any kind of mounting or for unmounted prints. Generally, the prints stay pretty flat over time despite changes in the climate.

---