[pure-silver] Re: Rubber Floor Mats

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 12:21:40 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adrienne Moumin" <photowonder2010@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2005 5:44 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Rubber Floor Mats

> Hi, all,
>
> The final darkroom load-in has begun now that the
> construction & finish work
> has finally come to an end!  So it will be ready to use in
> the next week
> once all the fine tuning is complete.
>
> I luckily managed to find the floor mats I was looking for
> at Home Depot.
> The 1/2 inch thick, 3'x3'  commercial rubber w/the holes.
> Heaven on the old
> dogs!  I thought I'd have to order online & pay freight,
> but on my almost
> daily forays for one thing or another, there they were!
>
> My dream mats are turning nightmarish, however, as the
> smell wafts up from
> the basement & permeates the entire house, even the top
> floor.  The smell
> has transmogrified all over the olfactory map for my
> fiance & I.  When I
> walk in the front door, it is redolent of an old age home
> (if that makes any
> sense).  Fiance's interpretation fluctuates between that &
> cooking cabbage.
>
> I was wondering if folks had any ideas about how to treat
> the mats to
> eliminate the smell.  Googling every word combination I
> could think of
> yielded nada.
>
> Thanks for the brain strain, once again, on my behalf!
>
> -Adrienne Moumin

   I think you are going to have to get new mats made of
some other material. I've had experience with mats of the
type you have. The smell takes _years_ to go away and never
completely leaves. I am sorry to be discouraging but its the
truth. You can get similar mats made of plastic which do not
have the strong odor. The kind you have will make the house
smell like Pep Boys.

---