[pure-silver] Re: 'Ripening' procedure for developer?

  • From: "Jeffery Smith" <jls@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 20:29:22 -0500

Developers like D76 change for the worse over time. One of the problems is
pH change, which affects the activity of the developing agent. I have been
using divided D76, which is a bit more stable. The first bath allows
inactive developer to soak into the emulsion. Time and temp aren't
important. Transferred to the alkaline bath (borax), the developer in the
gelatin becomes active until it is exhausted. The first bath can be reused
over and over. The 2nd bath (cheap) is discarded.

But I am getting to the point that I don't trust developer unless it is
fresh. I have bought about 5 kits of Paterson citric acid developer. By the
time it reaches the states and gets into my darkroom, it is DOA.

Jeffery Smith
New Orleans, LA
http://www.400tx.com
http://400tx.blogspot.com/