[pure-silver] Re: 'Ripening' procedure for developer?

  • From: Jeffrey Thorns <puresilver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 12:48:09 -0700

Nearly all of the really bad experiences I've had in developing film have
been traced back to developer behaving badly rather than user error (one
notable exception was the time I thoroughly rinsed the film between
solutions A and B when developing with divided D-76). I used distilled water
religiously. I have pretty much refused to entertain liquid developers
except for those I order directly from PF (I wish they had expiration dates
on the bottles). No bad luck with PMK Pyro from PF, but I'll probably order
new bottles before getting half way through my current bottles.

My experience with PF WD2D+ pyro; I had one bad batch (which they replaced immediately), but it's a very nice (liquid) one-shot developer, the stock solutions of which I would not keep on the shelf longer than about 6-9 months (tops!) - the resulting film seems to get grainier as the developer gets older than 5-6 months since initial opening.

(And it must be mixed up IMMEDIATELY before processing - it oxidizes quickly.)