[pure-silver] Quest and Re-quest

  • From: "Adrienne Moumin" <photowonder2010@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 15:25:48 -0500

I am glad that my post spurred a round of ideas and thoughts.

But honestly, folks, I was just looking for some good, old-fashioned technical advice here. Not being as far along as I'd like to be photographically, I appeal to those on this list who are more experienced and accomplished than I:

I just want to know whether, looking at my image, would you say that a LF/view camera is what I need to consider in order to get the effect I am after. That is all I am asking. (the image is at http://www.picturexhibit.com/SkylineStitch.html)

Here is an excerpt of my e-mail reply to Snoopy, who sent directly to me his "heresy" e-mail:

It's quite interesting to have others hold up a mirror to one's own words.....makes me realize that my own communication is not as clear as I originally thought.

I guess I was using those 2 photogs as examples of the type of DOF sharpness I am after, rather than stating I was trying to emulate anything else about their images. For me, this is both technical and emotional. I have snapshot pictures of NY skyscraper panoramas I took 25 years ago, w/the only thing I could afford at the time, a castoff Brownie-type box camera.

Those images, tiny and blurry as they are, do (for me) convey the types of feelings I am after. However, I would never show them to anyone because technically they are so far below what I am capable of, (what you call "acceptable quality"), and also because for me, it is about manifesting, as closely as I can, the "vision" (or whatever word you personally use for this) that I see in my mind's eye.

I call it "the Quest" because this is something that I have yearned for my whole life (the ability to record urban landscapes in great, sharp detail, that is). I don't feel there's much there about emulation; I am merely attempting to learn the technical aspects of how to achieve that vision.

The rest of what I need, I already possess inside, but since I didn't have the benefit of formal education, I am trying to learn about & explore, through the kindness of those on pure-silver, any technical information that will assist and facilitate me moving along on my path.

-end of copied post-

So if anyone has any opinions on this technical aspect of what I am trying to figure out, please, please, let me know?

Thanks so much,
Adrienne Moumin

on the web at:  www.picturexhibit.com
Saatchi Gallery:   http://tinyurl.com/hw6r3