[pure-silver] Re: Purosol Optical Lens Cleaning Fluid

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 20:32:40 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 27, 2006 4:08 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Purosol Optical Lens Cleaning Fluid

Isopropyl Alcohol is otherwise called rubbing alcohol. It usually comes in less pure state, like 70% pure, for around $1 a pint. If you keep it a while, the moisture will get inside and it will not be 99% ..

A little water will not hurt your lens, and other than trying to find pure IPA, which would be availablke at a chemistry supply, the
70% stuff will suffice and it is cheap.!

Try Clearsight as well for a more modern lens cleaning solution..

http://clearsightusa.com/

Joe Codispotti is a great guy,,,,,,
Frank Filippone
red735i@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rubbing alcohol will work. The idea of the 99% stuff is that its dry and evaporates quickly and without any residue. Isopropyl comes in 70% (normal rubbing alcohol), 91%, and 99%. 91% is about what pure alcohol becomes on exposure to air, it absorbs moisture up to this point and stops. Supposedly the antiseptic properties are at a maxium at 70% but I've also seen 91% quoted for this. I have no idea what Clearsight is. Many proprietary lens cleaners do not give the ingredients in the MSDS saying only that they are non-hazardous and are proprietary. From some other sources I've discovered that mostly they are just plain alcohol or Ammonium carbonate or both. I've found the Butyl alcohol cleaners superior to either plus they are recommended for cleaning scanner windows, etc.

---